tl;dr: I rode a bike-packing event covering pretty much the whole of sub-arctic Norway. The 3,400 km route took in Norway’s most iconic scenery and demanded payment in kind. I bike-packed my way to the end in 9 days, 8 hours, 43 minutes.
- 📈 Lots of climbing
- ⛴ Inconvenient ferry timetables
- 😰 A 1,000 m switchback descent, including a 1 km tunnel with a 10% hairpin inside it… that had to be climbed again afterwards
- ⛽️ Extortionate petrol station food
- 🚏 Camping in bus shelters
- 🪦 Camping in graveyards
- 🥵 Unbearable heat
- 🥶 Unbearable cold
- 🎭 Plentiful mood swings
- 🏔 The most beautiful mountain scenery I’ve ever seen
This was a long ride and this is going to be a long write-up – long enough to merit several instalments. Riding so far is a complex experience and I’m not really sure how to capture the whole thing in a blog post, so we’ll see how this goes.